Reading Books: The HTML Reader
For a video on the functionality of this reader, please go to this You Tube linkAll Books and many public documents in the collection are displayed in the desLibris Reader, which displays books in HTML, a universal format which can be read on any computer or portable device with internet access and a browser, including Windows, Android and IOS (Apple.)
The menu panel on the reader provides these functions for both books and documents:
- Toggle Side Panel - Pressing this hides or turns on the left hand chapter and menu list
- Citation - Get the citation here. Highlight the text, press Cntrl C to copy and Cntrl V to copy anywhere you would like
- Copy - Highlight text in the book first, then press the Copy button, Highlight the text inside the copy area, again, Cntrl C and then Cntrl V to paste
- Accessibility - This button will zoom in on the content for easier reading
- Page Layout Mode - This button will produce 6 icons for different page layouts and also rotate page options
- Printing - You can print a page or a range of pages but only up to 10% of the book due to copyright laws
- Full Screen - Pressing this opens up the book to full screen. Pressing it again brings you back to where you originally were.
- Thumbnails - In the left hand menu, you can either show Chapters by words or by pages. This button will produce thumbnail versions of the first page of each chapter.
- Search - Pressing this button will open up a search panel that will look for words within the book. It will highlight all instances of the word or phrase
- Add Annotations - Pressing the pencil button will open up to 5 more icons that will allow you to:
- Add Free Text
- Add a Comment
- Highlight an area
Reading Documents: The PDF Reader
Every public document in desLibris is available for online reading on the public site in preview only. There are no other capabilities. To add to bookshelf, they must register and sign in.
Authenticated users in libraries where they have a document subscription, have the additional capabilities of downloading a watermarked PDF of the document.